Problems with installing MOTU2408mk2/PCI-324 under WindowsXP

Fragen zu den Interfaces - 2408, 24I/O, HD192, 1296, 1224, 24i, 308

Moderator: klemmvossi

Antworten
imm
Problems with installing MOTU2408mk2/PCI-324 under WindowsXP

Beitrag von imm »

Problems with installing MOTU2408mk2/PCI-324 under WindowsXP sp2.

Hello all.

I apologize for not writing in german but unfortunately my german is not what it is supposed to be. I read and understand the german language (often with the help of a dictionary :-) but I will really appreciate to receive any answers in english.

I have recently upgraded my computer system from a Celeron 433Mhz/Chaintech 6BTM system to a DuoCore E6400/Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 system and I am in the middle of moving hardware and software from the old to the new system. The old system is running WindowsXP sp1 which was upgraded to sp2 via the internet and the new system is running WindowsXP sp2 which has been upgraded with all available fixes from the internet.

The MOTU2408mk2 did only ship with a Windows98 installation CD, so I downloaded the PCI-324 upgrade for WindowsXP (Setup_PCI324.zip v3.64 2004/08/04) from the MOTU homepage. I did get this driver to work on the old system although it was not as straightforward as described in the installation instructions. This installation was done a few years ago, so I do no longer remember the exact steps I did to make it work.

So far I have not been able to get the MOTU software to work on the new system. I have followed the installation instructions to every letter and the software installs as it is supposed to do. I have doublechecked the setup with the old system and I see no differences. According to the device manager on the new system I have no resource conflicts but the MOTU PCI audio driver and the MOTU PCI wave driver are marked with yellow exclamation marks (the MOTU PCI GSIF driver is apparently ok) and both of the drivers have the device status:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

I suspect these errors are the reason I get the following errors when I try to start the PCI-324 Audio Console or PCI-324 CueMix applications respectively:

Audio Console:
An error has occurred in the AudioWire driver: The AudioWire driver was not found (18)

CueMix:
Couldn't successfully startup or quit the application because The AudioWire driver was not found. [18]

I almost also find it needless to say that the Microsoft troubleshooting guide is no help to solve the problem with the non-starting drivers.

These are the driver informations for the MOTU drivers found in the device manager:

MOTU PCI Audio Driver:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\MotuAW.sys v1.6.6.9

MOTU PCI GSIF Driver:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\drmk.sys v5.1.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ks.sys v5.3.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\MAWGSIF.sys v1.0.0.5
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys v5.1.2600.1364
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\stream.sys v5.3.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\ksproxy.ax v5.3.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\ksuser.dll v5.3.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\wdmaud.drv v5.1.2600.2180

MOTU PCI Wave Driver:
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\drmk.sys v5.1.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\ks.sys v5.3.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\MAWWAVE.sys v1.0.0.11
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\portcls.sys v5.1.2600.1364
C:\Windows\system32\drivers\stream.sys v5.3.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\ksproxy.ax v5.3.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\ksuser.dll v5.3.2600.2180
C:\Windows\system32\wdmaud.drv v5.1.2600.2180

The MOTU applications are installed in C:\Program Files:

C:\Program Files>dir /s /x motu
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is E4F8-C8BC

Directory of C:\Program Files\motu

07-12-2006 09:40 <DIR> .
07-12-2006 09:40 <DIR> ..
07-12-2006 09:41 <DIR> AUDIOW~1 AudioWire
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\motu\AudioWire

07-12-2006 09:41 <DIR> .
07-12-2006 09:41 <DIR> ..
02-08-2004 12:16 327.844 MOTUPC~1.EXE MOTU PCI Audio Console.exe
30-07-2004 14:14 1.184.256 PCI-32~1.EXE PCI-324 CueMix Console.exe
19-03-2003 12:11 11.429 README~1.HTM Read Me First!.htm
07-12-2006 09:41 <DIR> README~1 Read Me First!_files
07-12-2006 09:41 16.062 Uninst.isu
4 File(s) 1.539.591 bytes

Directory of C:\Program Files\motu\AudioWire\Read Me First!_files

07-12-2006 09:41 <DIR> .
07-12-2006 09:41 <DIR> ..
0 File(s) 0 bytes

Total Files Listed:
4 File(s) 1.539.591 bytes
8 Dir(s) 242.183.090.176 bytes free

Does anyone of you have any clues to how to get the the MOTU drivers started, finding the AudioWire driver and get the Audio Console and CueMix applications running?

(I am gettíng a bit tired of reinstalling software, detaching and reattaching keyboard, mouse and monitor cables and the PCI-324 card from one machine to the other to try to get the software to work :-)

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Kind regards
Ib-Michael Martinsen
Århus, Denmark
dirk**

Beitrag von dirk** »

Hi,

did you install in the following order:
1. install driver
2. shut down PC
3. plug in PCI-card
4. start PC, don't remove installation software
5. the installation continue for several times. With xp the PC ask you several times to install files. This is quite different to e.g. win98

If it doesn't work, try it twice. Then it should work

Dirk
Gruß
dirk**
imm
Beitrag von imm »

Hi Dirk.

I have tried the installation procedure as you described (and as it is described in the installation instructions) several times (more than 10!) the last two days and it simply does not work as it is supposed to on my new system.

I have noticed that when the PCI-324 is installed in the old system the DMA, I/O-ports, interrupts and memory settings in the device manager are set as

IRQ (PCI) 10 MOTU PCI Audio Driver
Memory E9000000-E9FFFFFF MOTU PCI Audio Driver

When having the PCI-324 in one of the two PCI slots on the new Gigabyte motherboard I do not find anything about any MOTU drivers with respect to DMA, I/O-ports, interrupts or memory settings.

I have tried to set the BIOS PnP setting to interrupt 10 for the slot in which the PCI-324 sits, but it does not make any difference.

I am suspecting this could have something to do with the PCI-324 not being recognized by the motherboard, I just don't see why not. Also, if any resource conflicts were present, it ought to be reflected in the device manager, where I see none.

Kind regards
Ib-Michael
irishstew

Beitrag von irishstew »

Hi,
I have the same problem like you. The difference, - I try to make the PCI-424 to work.
The contact with the Motu e-mail hotline is more or less worthless. As far as I see a lot of people with Windows XP have the same problem.
Sorry that I can not help you, right now I am thinking about throwing the system away. I have the feeling Motu/Klemm never heard about customer service.
If you find a solution - please let me know!
imm
Beitrag von imm »

Hi Irishstew!

I am sorry to hear that you and several others are fighting the same problems as me and I am starting to get quite worried when I hear about the (missing) support from Klemm and MOTU. I wrote Klemm thursday and MOTU friday but have not heard from them yet (not even a "mail received" acknowledgement) which is frustrating.

Anyway I believe the issue has something to do with the PCI-324/424 cards not being recognized by the motherboards. I have noticed that when starting my old system with the PCI-324 installed I get a line in the PCI device listing as this:

Bus No..Device No..Func No..Vendor ID..Device ID..Device Class.............IRQ
0.............16................0...............137A..........0001...........Multimedia Device....10

(The dots are only for getting the text to align)

Although I do not know, I am pretty sure that this is the identification of the PCI-324 card and that 137A must be the MOTU ID.

When I boot my new system with the PCI-324 installed I do not see such a line. I have upgraded the BIOS to the newest level and fiddled with all sorts of BIOS settings, so far without any results.

Can anybody who has a PCI-324/PCI-424 running confirm that they also have an identification line like the above in their PCI device listing?

You are writing that you are thinking about abandoning the MOTU system. What are you considering for a replacement?

I need an interface with (preferably) 16 digital I/Os with TASCAM connectors for my Behringer DDX3216. Although ADAT connections would also be a possibility, it would mean I would have to upgrade my DDX3216 with yet another interface :-(

The worst part with the situation is not so much that I might have to ditch a +1000€ system (I mean you could always get a new/another system), but the fact that I took two weeks off in december planning to record a lot of music. Now I have wasted one week on installing software and troubleshooting the situation and it seems very unlikely to get the system ready for serious work in the second week. So basically I am wasting two weeks on very unproductive matters.

Kind regards
Ib-Michael
irishstew

Beitrag von irishstew »

Hi,
thanks for the answer.
Tommorrow I will try a last attempt to make the system run.
We are going to set up the Computer with Windows 2000, maybe also with 98 SE (It was working fine on 98 SE, but with a different Computer). If this will work, we will try XP again, but starting without the service packs for the beginning.
If everything fails, I'm thinking about a standalone hard disk recorder. Even if it is more work to bring the recorded files into my PC, at least I don't have to worry about compatibility problems with my computer.
I let you know about our results tommorrow.
Good luck!
Guenter
irishstew

MOTU Audio driver (18)

Beitrag von irishstew »

Hi,

I've solved the problem concerning the Motu audio driver, better let's say, - it is working now.
I changed the operating system from Windows XP to Windows 2000 Pro.
Than I followed the installation instructions and it worked okay.
Why it was not working with XP---?????? No clue.
Greeting
Guenter
imm
Beitrag von imm »

Hi Guenter

Good to hear you circumvented your problems. Your "solution" could indicate it is indeed a WindowsXP problem.

Do you see any Multimedia Device in your PCI Device listing when you are booting the PC?

I spoke with the danish distributor of MOTU today and I was told they (the danish distributor and MOTU) are aware of the problem and that I needed a newer PCI-424 (or PCI-424 Express) card. If this is right then it does not explain why you were unable to get your PCI-424 card working.

Anyway they promised me to let me test a newer card with my system. Only problem is they do not have any cards in stock at the moment, but expect to get them in January.

I will let you know what happens in January. Until then I will have to get by with the Realtek audio-i/f on the motherboard (at least it is surround sound out :-) Windows2000 is not an option for me and I am not too keen on making yet another installation.

Kind regards
Ib-Michael
dirk**

Beitrag von dirk** »

Hi all,

to be correct you have to differ:
PCI 324
PCI 424
PCI-X 424
PCI Express 424

I have a PCI-X 424 and it does work together with XP and Core2Duo. PCI 424 Express also shoud work, of course, it's the newer one.
Concerning PCI 424 I have no experience.
PCI 324 doesn't work together with this config. I asked the motu support:

>Hello Dirk,
>
>You are correct, the PCI-324 card will not be compatible with newer >Dual-Processors or motherboards that use hyperthreading or 64 bit >processing.
>
>--
>Regards,
>Barrett
>MOTU Tech 

any questions?
Gruß
dirk**
imm
Beitrag von imm »

Hi Dirk.

Thank you for the reply. When the hardware is incompatible this is the kind of answer I longed too see. Now I just wonder why MOTU or Klemm Music is unable to give me this answer or state it on their MOTU pages.

(But perhaps they already did?)

Kind regards
Ib-Michael
imm
Beitrag von imm »

To all who is interested.

Yesterday I received a reply from MOTU technical support. It said:

There may be a compatibility problem between the PCI-324 and your new
motherboard. Please refer to this MOTU technote:
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technot ... earchterm=

For compatibility with your new motherboard, you may need upgrade to
the PCI-424 card. If you have registered your PCI-324 system with